Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Wash walls from bottom up or top down??

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:53:33 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

I got myself a new (to me) harvest gold stove, and I'm just cleaning
where it will go.

So does it match the fridge? I didn't see the last of that thread.

The thread sort of fizzled out while I was waiting for the second guy
to get back to me.

Yes, it matches the fridge perfectly, even though it's a GE and the
fridge is Whirlpool, and, of course, that means it matches the first
stove too,

It looks great, very clean, NO scratches. Clock works, oven works.
She told me everything works, and she wasn't lying for the money. I
got it Sunday and cooked a store-bought frozen pie last night Tuesday.
The self-cleaning is dependent on the clock so it probably works.
Most of the oven is spotless, even most of the oven gasket looks new
with a little browning on 20 or 30%.

He asked for $100 and when I give him 120, either because it is so
nice or because I think he arranged to have a friend come home with
him after church and they carried it up the stairs and to my friend's
truck, he gave back the other 20**.

It's about 1/2 inch shorter than mine, and mine was 30 inches but the
top piece was about 29.5, so the fact that the counter was 1/2 inch
wider than the dishwasher worked out. (It was still hard to get the
old stove out or in. I had to tip it on its front legs because the
control panel in back was the full 30 inches and couldn't slide by the
counter.) Anyhow, to get this one in I took out the baseboard on the
other side, so that allows the whole stove to move a half inch to the
left.

The seller had bought his house 4 years ago. This was his first
email. "I have that stove and it's in ridiculously good condition. We
moved it downstairs when we renovated the kitchen. The woman who owned
the house before us was supposedly OCD, so she kept things really
clean."

They also had her refrigerator downstairs, a white one, and plan to
replace this stove with another. The wife said her mother and her 2
aunts had two stoves and two fridges and so she does too, and oh,
yeah, it is good when/if they have a party.

But on the phone he had implied that he wasn't trying to sell the
stove. I asked about that, and he said he was looking for fire wood
and he searched on fire on Craig's list and found my ad that referred
to my having a fire. Who knows how many of these stoves there are
that people would sell for the right price but they don't know if
anyone's looking.

I had them right next to each other last night and took pictures,
although the last time I tried to post pictures it went badly.

The first guy answered me two days after the ad appeared and I wrote
him right away. Then he didnt' get back to me at all until his wife
did a week later.

A day or two before I saw the stove, someone else replied, sending a
picture and wanting me to make an offer. I wrote him three times and
he never wrote back, but since the first couple took a week to write
back, I waited more than a week for the second guy. I told him, If I'm
willing to driv 30 minutes each way, you know I'm serious. I don't
know why he didn't write back. But if he had, it would have made
choosing harder.

**(My friend with the truck is 74 and normally doing half of this
would be nothing for him, but he's having arthroscopic surgery on his
knee tomorrow and couldn't use that leg for much, and I had pushed for
using the basement door because I'm out of shape and would run out of
wind if we had gone up the stairs, but his toddler's toys were all
over the place in front of the basement door, and the ground was still
wet, so I guess he wanted to use the stairs and the front double
doors, and I think he arranged to go to church with his friend and his
little kids.)

The Heat On indicator lights are smaller and dimmer than mine were.
Had to turn off the light over the stove to be sure if they were on,
but that's the sort of thing one faces with every new thing one buys.