Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] dav1936531@is.invalid is offline

Default bending pipe/tubing

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:32:36 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

I have an old truck with round tube bedrails that are rusted through.
It is an old truck with 330,000 miles but paid for at least.

My idea was to copy the rusted ones using some 2 inch emt. How could I
copy and make the end on the ends without a tubing bender and it look
half way decent? My first idea was to bolt a large socket on a table
and heat the pipt and bend it around that but there has got to be a
better way out there.

You could possibly put something like and old garage door spring
inside the tube in the area of the bend and then make the bend. The
spring should keep the tubing from collapsing. I have neve tried this,
but seem to recall hearing of this method somewhere.
Dave