Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Tinning Flux vs. Standard Paste Flux

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
willshak wrote:
No.95 "Tinning" flux is basically the same compound as No.5 flux,
except that it contains small particles of silver solder. These
particles help improve the flow of silver solder.

I've had good success using the 95 flux for pipes. Ended up putting some
on a PC board I recently cooked up, and it tinned the copper traces with
just a touch of the iron.

Jon

Their product sheet says not for electrical parts. While it will do a good
job of soldering, it leaves behind a residue that will in time draw moisture
out of the air and corrode the electronics.

For electrical or electronics you should use the rosin core solder. With
the extra metals in the 95 mix, it may not be compatible with the normal
(not lead free) electrical solder.
If soldering some of the newer lead free electronics, then it will probably
be compatible, but there is still that long term corrosion effect.