Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brazing cast iron

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 00:06:07 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:11:33 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor
wrote:

OK so I'm convinced that using JB weld won't hold up so I'll try
brazing this cracked plane I have.

MAPP gas
What tip?
Can I just use the same tip I use with propane to sweat copper pipe?

What kind of 'brazing' rods?
I was surprised that HF didn't carry them

these?
http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-Ni...8923442&sr=8-8
Rots a Ruck brazing cast iron with a MAPP torch.

Why, because of the quick heatsinking of the stuff? I've seen several
nicely brazed plane repairs, so I know it's doable. And MAPP will
easily get a small cracked section of a plane to red-hot temps. I
don't see the big deal, clare. Heatsinking might be a problem on a
thick tablesaur top, though. I think a second MAPP torch would fix
that if push came to shove.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPP_gas
"MAPP gas is also used in combustion with air for brazing and
soldering, where it has considerable advantages over competing propane
fuel due to its high combustion temperature of 2,020°C (3,670°F)."

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.