Jim Wilson

Default Chessman

Tom Watson wrote...
I was curious to see what the USCF rules might say about this and
found the following in the Fifth Edition, published in 2003:

From Section 41C. Proportions.:

"The guidelines for determining the proper square size for a Staunton
chess set is that the King should occupy around 78 percent of the
square. An acceptable square size may be up to 1/8 inch larger than
this number, but not smaller."

Fussy l'il debils, ain't dey.

Yep. It is interesting that the two most popular sets sold by the USCF
don't meet those guidelines, technically. (G) That's where I got my
dimensions. Together, these two sets fill at least 99% (literally) of all
the boards in a typical tournament hall, whether the sets are provided by
the organizer or the players.

Actually, I don't know if the USCF is directly selling equipment anymore,
what with all the money they (we) were losing; I think we've farmed it
all out. But the sets are still the same.

Cheers!

Jim