Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default Moving a Disabled Car

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I've got a 1999 Honda in my driveway. It's in perfectly
good shape except for the driver's side front, where #1
son scraped the side off of a Hyundai a couple of months
ago. I need to get it under cover so I can maybe even get
some work done on it, or at least wait until business
improves enough that I can get it worked on.

Having finally gotten the driveway gate done and installed
(in a rare Oregon snow storm), I have room in the shop for
the car. But the left front suspension is mangled enough
that the wheel won't roll. If the driveway were more
firmly packed I'd just put the floor jack under the wheel
and roll it with that -- but I'm afraid that it'll just
sink into the gravel/fir needle mix instead.

So -- assuming that the jack won't work, does anyone have
any suggestions? I've got a small tractor with a loader
on it; if there was some way I could get under the car to
pick up that corner and pull or push the car, I could do
wonderful things -- I'm thinking maybe a bar that engages
the shipping tiedown and some strong-looking suspension
part, that extends enough that I could pick the car up
with chains on the loader.

Any other suggestions (even "don't do that, you'll be
killed" guidance) is welcome. At worst I could rent a
dolly from U-haul -- but I'm trying to figure out a way
that requires zero cash layout, and still gets the car
into the warm & dry.

--

TW:

I once moved a very large storage shed by jacking it up and
putting pipes
underneath it; rolled nicely on to the new foundation. If
you have enough
strong cylinders, levitate, put a piece of ply or plate
under the wheel and
cylinders under that. As you run past a trailing cylinder,
put it in front and
continue pushing. Because of your soil substrate, it sounds
like you'll need
a piece of ply or plate on that too.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

"Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written
for you.
See details at
http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html