Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Fridge temperatures???

In ,
mike typed:
:: Fridge temperatures???
::
:: I have a 2008 model Kenmore refrigerator with top
:: freezer.
::
:: I have no experience with these newfangled high-deficiency
:: R134a units.

Research it online; lots of info available.

::
:: I noticed that my ice cream was softer than usual.
:: Freezer temp was 23F, Fridge at 45F.

Should be 0 and 40 respectively. So you're not far off.
::
:: I made some temperature measurements and am getting
:: confusing results.
::

snip

It's the temp coming OUT of the compressor that matters, plus all the fans
etc. working right along with bulb switches.
A special thermometer to measure the temps is very cheap; last one I
bought was $4.99 and when compared to another thermometer, was dead-on
accuracy, unusual in those things but they're always close enough for in
home use.

::
:: I turned down the thermostat. Too early to tell, but it
:: seems to be colder inside.
::
:: The temperatures in/out of the compressor seem to be
:: off????
:: If the compressor is not running continuously, the inside
:: temps should not have changed???

If compressor not running, inside temps should be very slowly rising;
insulation is far from perfect - it HAS to run when it warms up enough!

::
:: Anything else I should check before calling service?

Yeah, finish adjusting the temperature; you aren't that far off! Exp if it's
going to cost you a service call.

HTH,

Twayne`

: Or am I just worrying too much???
::
:: Thanks, mike

Freezer: 0 degrees F.
Refrigerator: above freezing; usually abt 40f.
Often the fridge thermostat affects the freezer, so get it to temp first
unless the freezer is much above 0; then try both to get started.

Forget that other crap; just get the insides to the right temps. If you
can't THEN you need help.