Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Washing machine motor won't start, bad triac ?

On 2/28/2011 4:04 PM, Baron wrote:
Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

Baron wrote:

Andre Majorel Inscribed thus:

? On 2011-02-26, Baron ? wrote:
?? Sylvia Else Inscribed thus:
??
??? I'd have to wonder whether one of the rotor windings has failed
??? open-cicuit. I think that could even account for the sparks. The
??? magnetic field for a winding that is becoming disconnected by the
??? brush action has to collapse because the broken winding that's
being ??? connected cannot maintain the field.
??
?? Sounds like OC segments on the comm...
?
? The old man and I don't know enough about motors to be sure but
? we did suspect something along the same lines.

Its easy enough to test. In the old days a buzz box was used,
nowadays no one bothers ! Its far cheaper just to throw it in the
scrap box and buy a new one.

A 'Growler' was used to test the armature in a brush type motor.

Wow ! I haven't heard that term for a long time. Same kit or similar
though.

A growler is used to test for shorts, but won't test for opens. To test
for opens, one uses a simple ohm meter.

--
I'm never going to grow up.