Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Moving a Disabled Car

Tim Wescott wrote:

I've got a 1999 Honda in my driveway. It's in perfectly good shape
except for the driver's side front, where #1 son scraped the side off of
a Hyundai a couple of months ago. I need to get it under cover so I can
maybe even get some work done on it, or at least wait until business
improves enough that I can get it worked on.

Having finally gotten the driveway gate done and installed (in a rare
Oregon snow storm), I have room in the shop for the car. But the left
front suspension is mangled enough that the wheel won't roll. If the
driveway were more firmly packed I'd just put the floor jack under the
wheel and roll it with that -- but I'm afraid that it'll just sink into
the gravel/fir needle mix instead.

So -- assuming that the jack won't work, does anyone have any
suggestions? I've got a small tractor with a loader on it; if there was
some way I could get under the car to pick up that corner and pull or
push the car, I could do wonderful things -- I'm thinking maybe a bar
that engages the shipping tiedown and some strong-looking suspension
part, that extends enough that I could pick the car up with chains on
the loader.

Any other suggestions (even "don't do that, you'll be killed" guidance)
is welcome. At worst I could rent a dolly from U-haul -- but I'm trying
to figure out a way that requires zero cash layout, and still gets the
car into the warm & dry.

I was gonna say, put a plank on the driveway to roll the floor jack on,
but I read on - you have a _LOADER_???

Definitely, use it, assuming it'll lift the corner or even the whole
front of the car.

You won't be killed if you follow ordinary, safe work practices.

Have Fun!
Rich