Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28206 Ignoramus28206 is offline

Default What I love about CNC

On 2011-02-28, Jon Elson wrote:
On 02/25/2011 01:50 PM, Ignoramus30447 wrote:
Is the same thing that I love about computers in general. I can program
a computer to do something that I want, automatically, and to run
unattended.

With this CNC mill, too, I do not even care too much how long a job
would take. I just program it, double check that all the rapids are in
the areas that are milled out, start the job and walk away to do
something else. I somewhat watch the progress through a netcam, with
one eye.

This is just so awesome, to have a mill do my job, precisely the same
way every time.

I used to make instrument panels and housings from aluminum sheet. I
used to mark out the general outline with Dy-Kem, just to prevent dumb
errors and then cut it with the handwheels on my 1938 Bridgeport. Due
to differential wear in the center of the Acme screws, screw holes would
not line up, etc.

Then, I got a set of Bridgeport optical readouts with the mirrored
scales and projection viewer boxes, and suddenly, when I made something
that had a cover that went on it, the screw holes lined up without
filing! That was great, but it was still REALLY tedious to cut out a
dozen slots manually. if I went past the dimension a little in one
place, it would leave a big gouge and I had to start over.

Now, with CNC, I don't spend hours slaving over one panel and worrying
that one little slipup will ruin the part.

I don't run my machine unattended, but then the pieces I work on
typically don't take very long to make, generally just 3-5 minutes per
part. Most of the time is preparation, setup and cleanup.

Jon

Which brings up a related question: how do you fixture those panels?