Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default Free 2D CAD from Dassault

On Feb 28, 8:54*am, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 23:49:08 -0800, mike wrote:
Ned Simmons wrote:
I got an email from Dassault announcing a free 2D CAD program. *The

CAD software represents a significant investment in learning how to use it.
Would you put your money in a bank that required you to re-qualify
periodically with no guarantee that you could ever get your money back?

I agree with your point about the investment in time and effort to
learn a software package -- I've become proficient with autocad plus 3
solid modelers over the last 25 years. In fact, I've used the same
argument when urging folks to try Alibre instead of a cheap/free 2D
package. But for some things, 2D is all one needs.

The bank analogy is flawed, unless the bank also matched your deposit
when you open the account; in other words, they're putting up
something of value as well. A gambling analogy would be more on point.

--
Ned Simmons

The banking analogy is right on.
They put up the "Bank" which is their free program trap, and you
deposit all of your IP into the trap.
At any time they can hold all of your IP hostage.

You keep making IP deposits into their "bank" and at any time they
can fold the bank and destroy your IP unless you re-qualify.

I think the bank is more representative than the gambler.