Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dream2000 Dream2000 is offline

Default Milwaukee Steel Hawg Cutters Cross Compatibility

responding to
http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworkin...ty-484577-.htm
Dream2000 wrote:
I have a 4240.
The cutters for the 4240 are discontinued. There are some places that
still have them though. I'd recommend chasing the ones for the 4245, the
tang-drive type.

As to modifying either machine...forget it. Both only have 1" of travel
beyond cutter length.

As to running some kind of adapter in a drill press (especially one from
China,etc) would be a great way to ruin the drill press spindle. These
cutters are sorta like a hollow end-mill,and they want to 'walk'.
Running them in a mill would be OK, but not a drill-press.

The factory (expensive) adapters incorporate a spring-loaded center pin
affair, that centers the cutter and ejects the resulting slug.
I suppose if you were real careful and on smaller sizes, you may be able
to do it?...I would not try it.

Another option would be to sell both of those and buy a Milwaukee 4270-20
Compact Mag base. They use 3/4" Weldon shank annular cutters (hi-speed not
carbide) and are among the cheapest and most available. The Compact can
also use a 1/2" Jacobs drill for jobber-lenght drill bits.