Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dream2000 Dream2000 is offline

Default Milwaukee Steel Hawg Cutters Cross Compatibility

responding to
http://www.rittercnc.com/metalworkin...ty-484577-.htm
Dream2000 wrote:
To the original question: 4240 / 4245 Steel Hawgs

I have a 4240,which 'looks' like the 4245. The 4240 uses different cutters
from all other Milwaukee mag drills. Both release the cutter by pulling
down a ring on the spindle. The difference is how the cutter is driven.
The 4240 cutters have an internal keyway and the 4245 has 2 tangs. Both
are retained by the groove on the OD of the shank.
It would be impossible to modify either machines to use a chuck or any
adapter.
The reason is that both the 4240 & 4245 only have 1" of travel beyond the
length of these squatty cutters. The cutter for both are only available in
1" depth, while the other kinds are 1" or 2" depth.
To my knowledge, the 4240 cutters are 'discontinued', although some places
still have some. The 4245's may be discontinued too, but are the 'newer'
type of the two kinds. If you were to try to accumulate cutters, I'd
suggest pursuing the 4245 type.

As to the 49-57-0010,49-57-0012, or the chip-breaker 49-57-0013
adapters...the 3 range from ~ $100 to almost ~ $500 for the chip-breaker
version.

These use the thread internal cutters, which are widely available (but
still not cheap).

The last type of annular cutter is the 3/4" Weldon shank type, used by
Jancy,Dewalt,Milwaukee and others. They are Hi-Speed not carbide.