Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Subpanel use in whole house rewiring

On Feb 26, 10:06*am, "RogerT" wrote:
I have a 3-story semi-detached home with a full basement that is going to be
completely rehabbed. *All of the old lath and plaster is currently being
removed down to the studs and joists. *Then it will get all new wiring, new
kitchen and baths, *new plumbing, new sheetrock, insulation, etc.

This is a question about the design for the all new wiring. *The house is
one side of a side-by-side twin, so in our area it is called a semi-detached
home. *It has a full basement with high open ceilings. *Access to all areas
of the other walls and ceilings is easy because the interior of the property
is being gutted down to the studs and joists.

A new 200-amp service panel has already been installed, and it is located on
the front wall of the basement.

The basement goes straight back under the living room, dining room, and
kitchen which are on the first floor. *The second floor has a front bedroom,
middle bedroom, back bedroom, and bath next to the back bedroom. *The third
floor has a small bathroom in the front corner, a main front/middle bedroom,
and a back bedroom.

My question is about how to plan the wiring.

Since this is a long and high house, does it make sense to just run all of
the wiring directly from the main panel in the basement? *Or, would it make
more sense to strategically locate one or two subpanels (such as on the
second and third floors), run power to those subpanels, and then run local
circuits to each of those areas off of the subpanels?

In a new proper well designed home electrical system a ripped breaker
is rtare and only when something is broke.

I used to get trips here all the time, added many breakers and its now
a rare event..

as such just a main panel is probably just fine.

if someone really hates going in the basement i guess a main panel
could be upstairs.

dont save money by maxing out number of loads on circuits.

my ideal would be at least 2 seperate just light circuits intertwined
thru home so if one trips theres no all dark floors, a breaker for
each bedroom, and each room, one for bath which is code, 3 for kitchen
outlets, kitchens are power hungry, a couple at least for the shop,
seperate breakers for washer, dryer, stove, fridge, furnace, hot
water tank, disposal, basement freezer if you will ever have one,
outside outlets, etc etc

sure it costs more but its a one time expense and when a breaker trips
you know what room is out. makes trouble shooting a breeze

this is over code minimums but worth the expense.

add support now for a generator in times of power outages