Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Slightly odd output stage configuration. Thoughts ?

On 2/25/2011 11:29 PM Phil Allison spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl"

Phil Allison spake thus:

Also, the power output will of course drop in triode mode and
each EL84 will dissipate more heat under overdrive. Combined with
their use of a "concertina" phase splitter, I suspect that
overdrive clipping will not be symmetrical.

If you wouldn't mind indulging my relative ignorance for a minute,
that "concertina" stage business got my curiosity up. So I found
the two triode (12AX7) stages before the EL84s, and it looks to me
like the first stage (V3A) is a phase inverter,

** With an imagination like that - you should be writing fiction for a
living.

A " phase inverter" ( or phase splitter) has equal and opposite polarity
outputs.

OK, my bad: poor choice of terminology. What I meant to say is that both
stages are inverting stages, being common cathode. Correct? Since one
pair of EL84s seems to be driven from V3As plate and the other from V3Bs
plate, isn't this basically how this phase splitter works? One pair of
output tubes gets an inverted signal, the other pair gets an
inverted-inverted one.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet