Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Odd; Festool price display policy at Woodcraft- Baltimore

On 2/26/11 4:18 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:49:17 -0600, wrote:

On 2/26/11 12:27 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

When I lived in VT, I was very good friends with a GM of a Ford dealership.
When I questioned their "documentation fee" he said it was a requirement of
the state DMV that it must be the same for every sale. They can do whatever
they want with the selling price (e.g. subtract the doc fee) but the doc fee
*had* to be the same for all.

He was at best misleading you, at worse flat out lying, which he may
have just been indoctrinated into from working there so long.

Nope.

Most likely, the DMV had requirements regarding the tax& title fees. It
costs $X for a car title, which the state DMV charges, not the dealer.
The dealer is simply doing this for you as a service, probably because
it makes things easier on their end. So the DMV doesn't want them
charging $30 for a title that the consumer can go down to the DMV and
get for $10. In other words, the state outlaws the dealer double-dipping
or profiting on a state tax.

Nothing to do with what the DMV charges.

Titles fees are completely separate from the "doc fees" or "admin fees"
that dealers trump up to pad their profit. If the DMV (state law)
actually requires dealers to charge the same amount for "admin fees" to
every customer, then the dealer has the choice to charge every customer
$0 for admin fees.

They could, yes. They'd rather charge it, though. In VT they cannot add it
indiscriminately. In for an ounce...

That's really my only point. They are blaming it on the DMV, which is BS
in so many ways, but not really the point of this discussion. The point
is, they are trying to BS the buyer into thinking they have no choice
but to charge the doc fee.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)