Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default How To Cut Out A Door Hinge Recess W/O A Router

On Feb 26, 5:28*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
0600, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:56:23 -0500, Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

Personally I never understood why they make hinges with round corners
anyhow.... *

So a router bit will do all the work. * No chisel necessary.

Jim

Ok, I understand now. *That's ALL they are made for then. *I have a
router but I've always chiseled them by hand. *Just seems like too
much work to use a router and get it straight. *This ten means that to
do the job by hand, DO NOT use round cornered hinges.

For a door every few years I would stick with square hinges and a
*good*, *sharp* chisel. * * If you're looking at 2-3 doors on a job,
spend some time shopping for a hinge template for that router.

It takes some care to set up- [and all are not created equal]- but
when you finally fire it up and everything fits perfectly, they are
worth it.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Yep. I have screwed up more jambs and doors trying to 'freehand' with
a router. But then paint does a wonder on covering slips and if too
bad a bit of spackle or tapeing mud will do it.

Harry K