Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default Joining two thick Maple "butcher blocks"

On Feb 22, 6:45*pm, whit3rd wrote:
On Feb 21, wrote:

I found two three foot long, fourteen inch wide table inserts
constructed of (one and three quarter inch) thick Maple strips ...
I would like to put the two pieces together to form a larger surface -
maybe using a spline running most of the length. I am concerned about
how to best keep/join both pieces so that the finished piece is all in
the same plane across its face.

Spline will do the face alignment, but you still have to flatten both
glue
surfaces and get 'em exactly 90 degrees. *Clamping the two slabs
face-to-face and running 'em through a jointer is one way,
making a careful rip cut on your table saw is another.
Fastening them side-by-side and running the kerf with a straight
router bit (or even a Skilsaw) is a third.

The classic face-alignment method (dowels) requires a jig and lots of
patience, but is suitable for floppy boards. *Your planks might be
stiff enough to just apply a C-clamp to align both ends, without any
spline or dowels.

Best spline practice (for shear strength) is to make 'em with the
grain
cross to the planks, in multiple short spline pieces. * A parallel-
grain
spline could conceivably split with the clamp forces applied.
I'd probably just use thin plywood for a spline... it's easier and
cheap.
The spline slot can be done easily enough on a table saw with multiple
passes.

Thank You all. Appreciate the input. Carrying the pieces up to NC
where I will begin following our advice.

BY THE WAY, what is the name of that epoxy mentioned?