Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Tax (was Ron Hickman dies)

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:04:38 +0000 Tim Watts wrote :
So to the Tax Office: *Bllrrrp!* for all the swearing you made me do.

I was advised to ring another department to aks them to stop sending tax
returns as we're all PAYE here (this stems back to when I was self employed
in 2006) but as they seem to keep owing me money, albeit is small amounts,
perhaps I won't... Makes you wonder about the tax system and PAYE though...

HMRC sent me a letter here in Australia reminding me that I had to submit a
return by the due date. I wrote to them pointing out I had lived here since
2008 and had no UK income to declare. They said that I had ticked a box on
the previous return saying I expected to have taxable income in 2009-10 and I
therefore needed to submit a return and since the due date had passed, I
needed to file this online.

The free HMRC online facility is not available to those living outside the UK
so I ended up having to pay £20 for TaxCalc so as to be able to submit a nil
return. Hopefully I won't have to repeat this next year, but didn't see any
question in TaxCalc re 2010-11 income.

Could you not have downloaded the online PDF form, filled it in, and
posted it? That's what I did. Or had you gone past the 'do-it-by-post'
deadline?
--
Ian