Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Current best practice for roof vents?

On Feb 25, 8:11*pm, Home Guy wrote:
" wrote:
Wind-powered roof turbines are a crock of ****.

I upgraded some years ago from 2 tiny vents at each end of house to
ridge vent plus those existing vents.

Put my fluke recording temp probe up there before and after.

Assuming you can actually compare 2 similar situations:

- same time of year (or similar solar irradiance levels, angles,
* exposure times)

- same ambient external air temperature, winds, etc

Before top temp 146 degrees
after 116 degrees

all done within days mid summer outside temp in 90s during day.. its
not scientific but the ridge vent definetely helped

Incidently home inspectors say the spec is the attic shouldnt
ever be more than 15 degrees warmer than the outdoor temp

Because - why?

Because it's bad for your roof/attic/house, or because it's hard to
attain such a differential given unrestricted venting airflow?

90 degrees outdoor 115 TOPS in attic my home for sale was 119
degrees at the home I was attempting to sell the inspector said
I had to add 2 large attic exhaust fans.,

the house had a ridge vent but no soffit vents and no place for
soffit vents

I don't get what you're saying.

You're saying that you were able to keep your attic temp no higher than
115 (or 119?) with just a ridge vent and some hokey twirly vents, EVEN
THOUGH you have no soffit vents ???

its impossible to install soffit vents since none of these homes have
soffits, they were built in 1950.the attic temp in the other home i
sold was warmer than 15 degrees between outdoor and in attic, but the
home inspectors were idiots. one dinged the house for no GFCI on the
garage sump pump. the sale fell thru.

the next buyer got a different home inspector who dinged the home for
having a GFCI on the sump pump. ( I had installed one to make the
first buyer happy) neither inspector found the very loose light box
mounting on garage light, i had left it loose so they would have
something to find......

home inspectors the buyers best friend the sellers worst enemy./

I assume you have a two-sided roof (inverted V) where you can have a
continuous ridge vent from one side to another. *The outside air you're
pulling into the attic is coming from two vents mounted on the opposite
sides of the attic - probably located 1/2 way or 1/3 of the way from the
top of the roof line. *The air currents inside the attic are such that
most of your space and roof is baking in the heat, while the ends of the
roof and attic that are in the path of the air currents will be cooler.

You might also have light-colored shingled, or have some trees shading
your roof.

Either way, not having soffit venting is a major obstacle in keeping
your attic cool and properly ventilated.

your description appears about right. theres no way to install soffit
vents when you have no soffits theres no roof overhang.

another neighbor installed roof vents down low for better airflow,
which rewarded him with blowing snow in attic and water troubles.

yeah my roof is off white and i have a mature sycamore in back yard,
it helps keep the home cooler