Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default How To Cut Out A Door Hinge Recess W/O A Router

On Feb 25, 12:32*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/24/2011 11:54 PM harry spake thus:

If you examine your hing you will probably find that the screwholes
are at the centres of the radius on the cornerscorners. *CLUE! *:-)

Harry, old man, you're not only a Brit twit, but also an idiot who loves
to shoot off his mouth half-cocked.

I just checked, and the rounded-corner hinges I have definitely do *not*
have the mounting holes at the center of the corner radii. Maybe this is
true of your quaint Brit hinges, but not ours over here. So your
suggestion is worthless.

If you get one of the flat wood drills of the same radius as the
corners of the hinges you can use this., Offer up the hinge into
position and mark the screw holes. This is where the spike in the
centre of the drill goes. Dril to the depth require (say 1/8"?).

Even if the screw hole were at the center of the corner radius, this
method is guaranteed to result in grossly oversize holes for the screws
because of the rather wide point of the spade-bit drill. The screws'll
just fall right out.

Cut out the rest with a mallet & chisel. Or use a hammer if you're a
redneck.

Redneck? Excuse me--that's the way I cut all my hinge mortises, the good
old-fashioned way, and they sure don't look like any redneck woodbutcher
cut them. Just because you can't do them ...

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

Has Harry _ever_ posted anything that was good?

Harry K