Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Slightly odd output stage configuration. Thoughts ?

On 2/25/2011 4:12 PM Phil Allison spake thus:

Also, the power output will of course drop in triode mode and each EL84 will
dissipate more heat under overdrive. Combined with their use of a
"concertina" phase splitter, I suspect that overdrive clipping will not be
symmetrical.

If you wouldn't mind indulging my relative ignorance for a minute, that
"concertina" stage business got my curiosity up. So I found the two
triode (12AX7) stages before the EL84s, and it looks to me like the
first stage (V3A) is a phase inverter, with the other triode acting as
*another* phase inverter cascaded from the first stage, presumably with
unity gain. Is that correct?

So it seems this setup would be quite problem-prone, with possible phase
distortion and phase imbalance (or crossover distortion) effects. So why
would anyone use such a phase inverter, when there are much better ones
available?

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet