Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Slightly odd output stage configuration. Thoughts ?

"Arfa Daily"

** Same question has puzzled me for ages - I suspect it could be an error
that has just got repeated over the decades. No-one but Peavey knows for
sure.

** Here is my analysis:

The low value of 100 ohms in series with G2 has no significant effect on the
operation of a 6L6GC.

Peavey designs have a large value resistor ( 300 or 400 ohms 10W ) in the
feed to all G2s - unlike other amps that generally have a filter choke with
low DC resistance.

So, the 100 ohm resistors are there for factory test purposes only - so
staff can check if valves are drawing G2 currents within pre-determined
limits. G2 current levels mimic cathode currents for a given valve type and
brand.

By measuring the voltage drop across the 300 or 400 ohm resistor AND each
100 ohm in the G2 feeds - correct operation can be established.

Dunno about others - but I routinely check the voltage drop across each G2
resistor when servicing amps and replacing valves. It should be similar for
all valves in an output stage.

..... Phil