Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default service box expansion

"bud--" wrote in message
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Feb 25, 9:51 am, Jeff Thies wrote:
I'll be tackling the kitchen electric soon. The only place I use a
lot of electricity is in the kitchen. The service box has a 100 amp main
(never tripped) and is a TLM 612. Currently has the normal size breakers
in them.

What I was thinking was two 20A lines for the kitchen counter, and a
separate line for both the fridge and washer. Is that about right?

Just for reference, the current NEC requirement (new construction) is 2
kitchen circuits (virtually all the receptacles in the kitchen, pantry,
breakfast room, dining room, similar), 1 laundry circuit, and 1 bathroom
circuit - minimum

OK, so the question I have: If you're going to share your 2 required
kitchen appliance circuits with your dining room, etc., do you install an
AFCI breaker in the panel, then GFCI receptacles at the counter tops? My
code handbook shows dining room and kitchen outlets connected to an
appliance circuit, with no mention of AFCI protection in the drawing.
210.12 specifies that dining rooms must be AFCI protected.