Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What removes furniture wax...

Baron wrote:

A few thoughts and questions:

1) You stared that the finish / topcoat was sticky. This may be due
to more than just wax. It could be from the oil in hands slowly
deteriorating the finish. Wax removers alone will not get all of
this but a good cleaning with both water and solvent based cleaners
should.
2) Are you using lots of cleaning cloths or paper towels when you
wipe away the wax? You do not want to spread the wax / silicone
around. Keep using a new face of the cleaning cloth / paper towel
each time you make a swipe.
3) You stated that you are getting bubbles when you lay down the
finish. Typically, residual wax / silicone creates fish eyes /
craters. If you really are getting bubbles, it suggests that either
the technique you are using to lay down the finish is not sufficient
(unlikely given what you say you have tried) or the temperature of
your shop is such that it is warming as you go making any trapped air
come to the surface. It could also be due to a naturally oily wood
as someone else suggested.
Good Luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm convinced the bubbles came from the
underlying fininsh, wax, grime, or the territorial markings of the
star-faced mole. After taking everything down to where the screws were
showing, I was able to lay down a superb finish.

Except for one or two spots the tablecloth should cover.

I think the previous owner sprayed it with Sani-Flush instead of Pledge.