Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What I love about CNC

Ignoramus30447 fired this volley in
:

This is just so awesome, to have a mill do my job, precisely the same
way every time.

It's also fun to "cross over".

I have a friend with a large-format CNC router. In seven years of
producing parts on it, he's never learned to design those parts himself.
Instead, he pays a programmer 100 miles away $30.00 per hour to do that.

The other day, I had a large plywood "slot box" project to do. So I
designed the parts, CAD'd it out, and took the gcode and plywood over to
his shop.

He warned me that they call the machine "Christine", because "it does
whatever it wants to do when it feels like doing it. It cuts whatever was
designed last first, then works back in reverse order, no matter how you
lay out the cuts."

HUH? I asked, "How would it know anything about my CAD files? I'm only
supplying the gcode?" He told me to "just watch", and we started the
run.

OF COURSE, it cut the sheet just the way I had optimized the toolpaths,
and he was ****ed. He accused me of delicately designing the whole sheet
in that cut order... GGG

I used the same inexpensive CAM software (CAMBAM), that I use for my WAL-
E (R2E4). Writing a post-processor for his machine was a lead pipe
cinch. (ShopSabre 9648)

LLoyd