Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default How To Cut Out A Door Hinge Recess W/O A Router

On Feb 25, 3:03*am, harry wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:03*am, wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:35:36 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

Had to replace a piece of a door jam that was rotted out, now I need
to cut out a hinge recess with rounded corners and I don't have a
router.

I have a Dremel, does Home Depot sell any kind of bit for this
purpose?

Any suggestions?

Change the hinges to square cornered ones. *They are not that
expensive. *

Or chisel out square or as close as you can to the rounded corners and
use a little wood putty to fill in any imperfections. *Once the door
is installed, you'll never look at the hinges again. *

Personally I never understood why they make hinges with round corners
anyhow.... *

One final note, they do sell some jigs that are made for both round
and square cornered hinges. *You just drive them into the wood, and
chiesl out inside of the outline. *But they are costly. *Square hinges
are much cheaper.

The reason they make them is they are quicker easier and more accurate
to fit with tools you probably already have to hand.

How you figure? Square hinge requires only pencil, chisel, hammer.

nate