Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default service box expansion

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:09 am, Tony wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 25, 9:51 am, Jeff wrote:
I'll be tackling the kitchen electric soon. The only place I use a
lot of electricity is in the kitchen. The service box has a 100 amp main
(never tripped) and is a TLM 612. Currently has the normal size breakers
in them.

What I was thinking was two 20A lines for the kitchen counter, and a
separate line for both the fridge and washer. Is that about right?

It looks to me that I have several options, I can put in the half
size breakers. Run a subpanel just for the kitchen, or put in a larger
service box. The stove is electric and I don't think they make half size
220 breakers, am I wrong?

If I put in a larger service box, I'll want to turn off the power.
I'm thinking the power company is used to people pulling the meters, am
I wrong? If so this makes replacing the service box a lot more
expensive/inconvenient.

Jeff

around here pulling the meter is a non issue with the power company,
as long as you inform them immediately afterward.so they can reseal
the meter. just tell them you had to replace a breaker and didnt want
to get shocked

with the electric stove load a new main would be good.

you could install a 200 amp panel but swap out the 200 amp main for
100 amp so you dont have to replace the main service drop and meter
can....... keep the 200 amp breaker for later use if needed

200 amp main panels usually offer more breaker slots.

half breakers will work but the main box will get packed with wires:
( and you will likely have to add some neutral buss bars. i dont like
jammed boxes.

of course the best is a whole new main and service drop 200 amps

Hi,
When my house was built they installed a sub-panel for kitchen located
inside a walk-in pantry. Very handy.- Hide quoted text -

Oh no there goes your resale. Well according to halinobrains anyway.

Hmmm,
Who cares about resale value? I built house the way I like/want.
I live there not future buyer.