Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default PTFE covered wire - how to strip off the PTFE?

In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in message
news
In article ,
"N_Cook" wrote:

For high temp applications. The type I have has 2 parts to the PTFE
insulation. The outer strips off easily with any old wire stripper, but
however new , gap limited cutters , will not cut the underlying PTFE.
Outer is double spiral wound PTFE sheet/ribbon I think, heated to lock
together to a certain extent. The inner is more fibrous in nature.

Cutting
the remaining inner material , even difficult with a razor. The only
technique I've found, is remove the outer as normal , then .5mm grinding
disc in a Dremmel , only just touching, run all around and then pull

off,
rarely cuts a wire strand . Other than some mega-buck NASA/Mil approved
cutter any other ideas?

The type of stripper shown he

http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/OK%2...hoto/ST-500.jp

is pretty good with teflon. Sold under various brand names, and also in
different adjustable gauge ranges or in fixed sizes.

For teflon, squeeze fully to cut through insulation, then back off very
slightly to pull off slug.

Thats the type I use.
I think I'll make my own cutter, a pair of razor blades set with a tapered
gap between cutting edges (gap a bit larger than ext diam down to wire
diam). Push the wire down the gap in 2 orthogonal directions and then rotate
round at the narrow end. Then sleeve should slide off easily as its the
cutting completely around that is the problem. I'd rather avoid melting of
PTFE (the fluoro bit) especially as it cuts so easily.
Hopefully something like a minimal version of these PTFE specific cutters,
I only have one drum of one size of this wire, so no adjuster needed

http://int.rsdelivers.com/product/rs...091-45mmdia-cu
tting/0608301.aspx
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b8001b254.pdf

Glad your home-made gadget worked, but the cutters I referenced are the
ones we use every day for stripping teflon. I'm surprised they wouldn't
do it for you. It does take a bit of technique as noted, setting depth
to cut fully through, then backing off pressure to remove slug. The 90
degree rotate and 2nd cut helps, but for production work is too slow.