Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Increase water pressure in old neighbor hood home

On Feb 24, 10:47*pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:05:33 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

On 2/24/2011 11:30 AM, Harry K wrote:
(snip)

Back to the subject. *It is one run. *Sensible persons would examine
that run for the problem (probably a clogged shower head). Only if
that inspection showed corroded pipe as the problem would a sensible
person set out to replace all the pipe in the house.

Harry K

Hard to say without seeing it. And while I am no plumber, I have
personally seen multiple instances of galv iron water systems, where
once you disturb it, and stress joints and runs further upstream or
downstream, they start leaking.

You need 2 wrenches to work galvanized.
Got no idea what you mean by "disturbing" or "stressing" it.
I could guess, but why be impolite?
I'm not saying anybody should choose it over copper or PEX,
but for me galvanized is like riding a bicycle.
Never even give a thought to galvanized joints leaking.

--Vic- Hide quoted text -

old galvanized fittings tend to rust and weld together, no matter how
careful you are its easy to twist a connected line and cause another
leak either immediately or in the future.....

old galavanized is generally packed with rust, making you wonder how
water even managed to get thru the rust