Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Electrolytics blow after 1 hr

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:41:13 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:44:58 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann"

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/GX520-bad-caps.jpg

The two large black caps in the foreground are the surviving 105C
caps, while the blue caps in the background, are the bulging 85C caps.

** Errr - I hate to tell you this pal ........

but the pic shows all 4 caps installed with reverse polarity.

A smaller cap ( C310) is clearly installed correctly and so are all the
others I can see.

The markings on the PCB are a bit unusual with the white triangle
indicating positive.

.... Phil

AAAAAAARGH! I can't believe I did that. I usually assume that the silk
screened marker was matches the negative stripe on the electrolytics.
Very embarrassing.

Thanks for catching my mistake (as I crawl back into my hole and sulk).

Lol not the first time that's happened.