Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Drilling through welds

Tim Wescott wrote:

Is a really good way to sharpen your skills at sharpening drills.

3/4" stainless or some other high-alloy bar, stick welded a stub on the
end right through an existing hole with my own inadequate skills. Plan
"A" had been to use an alternative retaining method for the stuff that
had to go on the rod, but plan "A" had to be abandoned.

Fortunately, I'm stubborn. And I know how to sharpen drills.

Poor penetration, press out with a suitable diameter punch? Clamp it in
the mill and use an end mill to remove the errant rod?