Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tax (was Ron Hickman dies)

Tim Watts wrote:
Ronald Raygun ) wibbled on Thursday 24
February 2011 12:02:

But don't forget that before the 1p pay rise you didn't pay tax on the
whole 199,999.99, but only on 199,999.00. The extra 99p were tax free.

There is no point in drawing attention to 1p-wide tax bands in which
the marginal rate is 5k% without also conceding that these bands are
surrounded by 99p-wide bands in which the marginal rate is zero.

[Even more OT]

Had a fit last night. Thought I'd done last years tax return (well, it
has been a manic year plus we moved so I don't think I got the initial
request) - but yesterday I got 2 letters saying I hadn't = fines.

Turns out the fines are cancelled if you don't owe any tax - so did
the returns and discovered repayments due to us totally 98 quid.

So to the Tax Office: *Bllrrrp!* for all the swearing you made me do.

I was advised to ring another department to aks them to stop sending
tax returns as we're all PAYE here (this stems back to when I was self
employed in 2006) but as they seem to keep owing me money, albeit is
small amounts, perhaps I won't... Makes you wonder about the tax
system and PAYE though...

Lucky you. The accountants bill for recovering £174 of tax deducted that
shouldn't be, was nearly £400.

My accountants bill was £175 - but since he saved me £320 at the stroke
of a pen I didn't mind :-)