Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buzzing, Blowing Breaker

On Feb 23, 8:46*pm, Michael Dobony wrote:
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:55:26 -0600, Pete C. wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Michael Dobony wrote:

With the lights off it is pulling 12 amps. 5 lights at 100 watts each
(I think there are 75's in all the sockets) that is only a little
over 4 watts. That gives me 4 amps excess capacity.

I have no idea
what is pulling those 12 amps.

My money's on a neighbor.

12A is a *lot*, 1,440W and likely about $0.17/hr or better than $120/mo
if it's a continuous load. Certainly a load that large shouldn't be
difficult to track down.

You would be surprised. It is totally impossible to get to all the outlets
in one room. Will run a trace on it tomorrow.- Hide quoted text -

Well, something dissipating 1440 watts should be geting hot. An
electric iron only draws about 12 amps/1440 watts, so image something
getting that hot somewhere in your walls??? To check your meter, puit
it on a circuit with no load, then turn on some known light loads on
that circuit, and see if the meter agrees. Once you are sure of the
meter, then you have to try to find the closest point on the line in
question and open it.