Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default What removes furniture wax...

On 2/23/2011 4:57 PM, HeyBub wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Feb 23, 1:53 pm, wrote:
... from a surface in anticipation of re-varnishing?

I've tried:

Sanding,
Lacquer thinner,
Mineral spirits, and
Alcohol

with little or no success.

Thanks.

Lundmark Wax Remover ive used on floors many times with a buffer, but
its water base so if this is furniture you have to be carefull and
test an area. Paint remover should work great and be safe, are you
sure its just wax and not a bunch of modern polymer chemicals added to
the wax. Why do you think its still in the wood,, is it sticky?
Mineral spirits and laquer thinner are strong enough, and a good
Methelene Chloride paint remover should be even better.

Well, yeah, it's sticky. I only THINK it's wax inasmuch as lacquer thinner
removed SOME of it.

I'd rather not use paint remover 'cause that would attack the underlying
stain. I was hoping to get the finish (wax?) off so I could re-varnish the
table, but if I have to go down to the bare wood, well, so be it.

I've already spent the better parts of three weeks on HALF the goddamn table
top. What's another lifetime?

Three weeks on a table top? Must have been in a long poker game ) If
fine steel wool and mineral spirits don't take off the "wax", then it
ain't wax. Try wiping with Dawn dish detergent/water, wipe off right
away...if it is silicone, that might take it off. If that doesn't do
it, a quick wipe with denatured alcohol....it isn't Formica, is it??