Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Labeling apples...

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:02:13 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

The laser marking is supposed to be the solution to all those little
stickers. It's not my idea, they've been testing the technology already,
I've seen news reports on it.

I've marked a few of the very best Jazz apples with a company logo
using my wee CO2 laser. Went over very well with the founder.

KEWL, I've not seen this but i want one. How much will it cost me to
build a couple units?

The water cooled laser tube, power supply and optics maybe $1K (?) and
you need to scan it. Maybe galvo mirrors or a mirror on x-y. Under 2K
each, I should think.

I don't know if this is a factor, but keep in mind that breaking cell walls
in food products opens up a path for bacteria to get a grip. The marking
with a laser is the result of burning. Even a tiny amount may invite
bacterial attack. Once they get a colony going, they can attack cells that
are still intact. Rotten apples in barrels, and all of that.

Or it may be that skin cells alone don't lead to this problem. It's
something that you might be able to research in the technical literature.

--
Ed Huntress