Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Repairing NiCd battery packs

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Andrew Rossmann wrote:

How easy/hard would it be to solder to them, and will
it damage the batteries if I try?

If you scratch the areas to be soldered with sandpaper and *use liquid
flux* then you can readily solder the batteries without damaging them.

If cells with solder tabs and the bulge caused by the solder and wire
still fit in the space, that's the way to go.
Be aware that QUALITY cells will cost more than the cost of a battery pack.

Dustbusters are sold on PRICE. That means low quality batteries
and chargers with zero control that overcharge/degrade the cells.
If you don't do something about the charger, your new cells won't
last any longer than the old ones did.

People tell you that you can safely solder on cells. That ain't the case.
Yes, if you're very experienced at soldering on batteries, you may
be able to do it most of the time without serious degradation.
If this is your first attempt, expect to ruin at least some of them.
If you must solder on 'em, do it with them discharged, so when you
melt the separator and create an internal short, there's less energy
to fuel the explosion. Wear eye protection, and make sure the kids are
outa the house. They're not lithium, so making sure your fire insurance
is paid up is a secondary issue.

I can hear the villagers lighting the torches to come after me to tell
me how stupid I am...that you CAN solder on batteries.
I even did it for a number of years. I am fortunate that I got old
enough to require glasses before the first one exploded in my face.
Otherwise, you'd be reading this in braille.

There's a reason they weld the tabs. Ignore that at your peril.
People who have to ask "how hard it is" should NOT be soldering on
batteries...even if some "newsgroup expert" says THEY can.