Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Supercaps and ESR

Meat Plow Inscribed thus:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:21:55 -0800, DaveC wrote:

Trying to find a replacement for a 1F/2.5V supercap.

Original:

http://www.newark.com/cooper-bussman...5-r/capacitor-

super-1f-2-5v-
0-4ohm/dp/78K7800?Ntt=B0810-2R5105-R

I can find local replacements rated 1F/5V but the ESR is ~30 ohms
instead of 0.4.

I presume that supercaps aren't applied to filter applications --
their specialty being an alternative to batteries to power memory or
such -- so ripple current shouldn't be an issue.

My question: what's the impact of replacing a supercap with one with
a higher ESR?

Thanks,
Dave

Logic would dictate it would discharge quicker but my logic is usually
flawed.

I would have thought that the cap, same value, wouldn't be able to
provide the same peak current because of the higher ESR. Other than
that, physical size might be an issue !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.