Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
WangoTango WangoTango is offline

Default Supercaps and ESR

In article ,
says...
Trying to find a replacement for a 1F/2.5V supercap.

Original:

http://www.newark.com/cooper-bussman...super-1f-2-5v-
0-4ohm/dp/78K7800?Ntt=B0810-2R5105-R

I can find local replacements rated 1F/5V but the ESR is ~30 ohms instead of
0.4.

I presume that supercaps aren't applied to filter applications -- their
specialty being an alternative to batteries to power memory or such -- so
ripple current shouldn't be an issue.

My question: what's the impact of replacing a supercap with one with a higher
ESR?

Thanks,
Dave

That's one of those *depends* questions.
How much of a voltage drop will you get at the current draw of the
circuit and will that have any effect on operation?
I wouldn't think that as 30 ohm resistance is going to bother a RAM that
draws 6uA or so.