Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Supercaps and ESR

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:21:55 -0800, DaveC wrote:

Trying to find a replacement for a 1F/2.5V supercap.

Original:

http://www.newark.com/cooper-bussman...5-r/capacitor-

super-1f-2-5v-
0-4ohm/dp/78K7800?Ntt=B0810-2R5105-R

I can find local replacements rated 1F/5V but the ESR is ~30 ohms
instead of 0.4.

I presume that supercaps aren't applied to filter applications -- their
specialty being an alternative to batteries to power memory or such --
so ripple current shouldn't be an issue.

My question: what's the impact of replacing a supercap with one with a
higher ESR?

Thanks,
Dave

Logic would dictate it would discharge quicker but my logic is usually
flawed.