Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Rethugs to terminate both PBS & NPR. Fat chance

wrote:
On Feb 22, 4:07*pm, Hawke wrote:

Show me a successful person that wasn't lucky.

How about Donald Trump, Bill Gates , and Warren Buffet?

Or my father who grew up on a farm in Kansas, was in the Army during
WWI, worked his way through college at Colorado School of Mines by
waiting tables, worked in Mexico in the yucatan peninsula when he
graduated from college. He was successful, but he earned it by
working.

Well, Bill Gates was unquestionably lucky - IBM made the PC, and
somehow Gates weaseled himself there and wrote DOS, which was mostly
copied from CP/M; IBM was so unenthusiastic about PCs in general that
they essentially _granted_ Gates the exclusive rights to it.

Bad move for IBM, but Gates made a king's ransom.

But he was so incredibly naive - when Windows and networking and
interoperability appeared, he had this dream of this big worldwide
network where everybody shares all their files with everybody else,
anybody can run programs on anybody else's computers, and all that
pie-in-the-sky schtuff.

Obviously he had no clue that there were bad people out there who
would exploit that vision.

Albeit, he did cause a huge market for third party antivirus software
vendors.

Hope This Helps!
Rich