Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Turning thin disks on lathe

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:18:21 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I was recently asking about parts for the lead screw clutch on a 12 x 36
Atlas. Sunworshipper replied the dimensions and I made the main part.
I ordered the 4 simple and cheap parts from Clausing*, but they sent 2
of the wrong ones. So I think that I'll make those. They are .030
steel, 3/4" ID, 1-1/4" OD.

I'm thinking that I'll chuck up a small hunk of aluminum & super-glue
the .030 stock to it. Then turn the ID & OD, in that order. Does that
sound doable? Would double sided tape work better that super-glue?

FWIW I turn 0.020" brass discs, inside and outside, glued to steel
discs which are in turn held in a chuck. Their diameters vary from
2.5" to 4.5".

I cannot use superglue as it won't hold brass to steel, but
steel-to-steel holds well as long as you choose the *right* superglue.

I have no experience with steel-to-aluminum.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC