Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dennis Dennis is offline

Default Turning thin disks on lathe

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I was recently asking about parts for the lead screw clutch on a 12 x 36
Atlas. Sunworshipper replied the dimensions and I made the main part.
I ordered the 4 simple and cheap parts from Clausing*, but they sent 2
of the wrong ones. So I think that I'll make those. They are .030
steel, 3/4" ID, 1-1/4" OD.

I'm thinking that I'll chuck up a small hunk of aluminum & super-glue
the .030 stock to it. Then turn the ID & OD, in that order. Does that
sound doable? Would double sided tape work better that super-glue?

I wonder if circle punches, sometimes known as "arch punches" would do
the trick?

They'd probably have to some special kind of super-hard alloy, I suppose.

Recently, a co-worker who is a real machinist had to make some Viton
gaskets; he took a piece of ordinary steel and made a die, and cut the
Viton gaskets on the press. But .030 steel isn't Viton!

Good Luck!
Rich

I had a seal custom cnc'd for a 50mm pneumatic ram a year or so back from
some softish rubber, maybe viton. They told us they froze the work to firm
it up for machining.