Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Setting compound for 30 minute angle?

On Feb 21, 6:38*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
"Louis Ohland" wrote in message

How can I set my compound for boring? Angle plates? Adjustable angle?

What I've done before is chuck up a piece of drill rod, indicate it true,
then mark off an inch or few inches and indicate the compound to taper the
desired thousandths per the distance I marked off. *For example if I want a
taper of 0.008" per inch, I mark 1" on the drill rod and set the compound
with an indicator to move the desired amount per inch.

Yep, dialing in the compound with an actual gage indicator running
along
a known cylinder is the best way. It's a little slow, though,
so if the angle is going to be reproduced later, it pays to cut a
reference
(cone, in this case) and adjust for zero gage indication on the
reference
instead of variable indication against the cylinder.

There are other techniques possible; an amusing one is to zero the
compound angle, then mount a laser pointer. The laser spot on a
distant wall (2 meters) will indicate d*tan(theta),
or (assuming perpendicular incidence at theta = 0)
(2000 mm) sin(1/2 degree) = 17.45 mm
when the compound is adjusted to the correct angle.