Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Peltiers

On Feb 21, 8:07*pm, Bob La Londe wrote:
How much real cooling can you get with the cheap peltiers you find for
sale on Ebay. *My shop gets pretty hot in the summer, but its just not
practical to keep my controller computers in the office. *I was
thinking about making mini duct/shrouds to draw air over the cold side
of a peltier into the PC cases.

The answer is to look up the dissipation of your CPUs on Intel's or
AMD's site, then look at the module. A middlin' fair CPU these days
will dissipate around 65 watts or so, some of the hot ones will go
twice that. Depending on the hot-side temp, a module goes 10-25%
efficient, which means you're going to be dumping a whole lot more
heat than you're going to be pulling out of the CPU. In my one live
trial with a Peltier fan sink, I managed to cook a set of memory DIMMs
during a hot spell. A larger fansink was the ultimate answer and kept
the CPU 10 degrees cooler than the module did.

They make portable AC units for spot cooling of computer gear, one of
those, or a window unit genned up to work like one, would probably be
the way to go.

Stan