Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Any Windoze experts on here ? Bit OT ...

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:34:23 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
wrote:

On Feb 21, 3:53 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 03:36:27 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

wrote:
You would think the biggest bottle-neck would be your ram at 160Mhz?
(166 for DDR single-channel). You would run great using XP or Win2K.

160MHz would make it DDR2-667Mhz or PC-5300 memory. With 64 bit
memory transfers (normal for a 64 bit OS and an AMD X2 processor), the
transfer rate is:
xfer rate = clock rate * bus multiplier * DDR doubler * 64 bits
= 160 Mhz * 2 * 2 * 64
= 5120 MBytes/sec
Methinks that's fast enough for most applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Chips_and_modules

I am NO expert, but it appears you are just plugging numbers where you
want. He has DDR single-channel. Clock speed multipliers raise by
increments of 33...so how can 160 be considered valid?

Well, I'll admit that I'm making a substantial number of guesses due
to the usual lack of supplied details.

The 160Mhz memory clock is the real clue as DDR-333 is 166MHz while
DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) is 160MHz. You had it backwards (but I didn't
initially notice).

Whether the memory is slow or fast doesn't matter. The problem is
that the operating system is showing a substantial memory leak, and
exhibiting a corresponding slow down. Neither memory configuration
should have such a slow down.

--
Jeff Liebermann

I was looking again at what you were saying in one of your other replies,
about how fast the memory is filling up for it to go from 35% to 90% in 3
days or so, but I think that I may have given the wrong impression there. It
doesn't just do it on its own. If I restart it right now, it will come back
with around 35% of memory in use, for the tasks that run all the time on the
machine. If I just leave it at that, and go to bed, when I get up in the
morning, it will still be at 35%. As it will at lunchtime, if I still do
nothing. It is the action of using the machine that causes the memory to
start to fill up. I use email a lot, but T-Bird is left running all the
time, so I guess it's not actually anything to do with that. I use Explorer
a lot to retrieve files on the machine, and Internet Explorer 8 for web
browsing. I use Windows Live Mail for newsgroup handling, and Acrobat and
latterly PDF-Viewer (although the problem was there before I even got that
program) for viewing pdf schematic files. I suppose that I need to look
carefully at what amount of memory is in use before I start a particular
task, and then recheck after I close it back down, although I am sure that
in general, I have actually done this, and seen that it never seems to go
back down to quite what it was, before whatever task was started up, which
is why I felt that it was an operating system thing in that it wasn't
totally removing everything from memory that was associated with that task,
after I close it down. As to the memory type, PC components are a mystery to
me. I am merely reporting here, what the system reports to me as to the type
and speed that's in there.

Arfa