Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Any Windoze experts on here ? Bit OT ...

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 2/19/2011 6:13 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Do you notice any slowdown when this occurs?

I have a similar "problem" under W2K. Windows creates a virtual
memory swap file when started, and expands it as needed.
Unfortunately, the expanding swap file causes the machine to slow
down, and a restart is eventually required. (This can take a few
days to a week or more, depending on how "hard" you push the OS. I
tend to have a lot of apps and files open at once, so I have to
restart as often as every four or five days.)

Yes, it does slow down. I have the Windoze memory usage widget running,
and you can see the usage creeping up over a couple of days or so, to the
point where it reaches 90+ %, at which point, the machine is crawling,
and having difficulty having multiple programs open at once.

Meaning no disrespect here, but are you sure it's *memory* that's getting
depleted here? I've got Win2K, and keep the Task Manager on my taskbar. It
indicates CPU usage %, not memory, at least if you're talking about the
visible indicator it shows onscreen. (Of course, it also shows memory
usage for each task as well as CPU usage.)

Yes, I'm quite sure that it's memory. If you are not familiar with Win 7,
there are desktop 'widgets' available, one of which is a pair of little
graphic 'speedometers' for want of a better description, the larger of which
indicates CPU capacity percentage, and the smaller of which indicates
percentage of physical memory in use. Aside from this, I think I said
elsewhere in the thread that I have tried various memory analyser and
cleaner utilities, and the current one I've been trying out, also has a
display to indicate how much memory is in use, and if I have that one up
with the Windows widget, they agree exactly.

Arfa