Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Rust protecting 12L14

In article ,
Ignoramus562 wrote:

My second attempt to make that dog clutch, is to make it from a proper
diameter 12L14 round bar.

It seems to work a little better, this being a round bar already means
less machining, I fixed some bugs, redid the feedrate math, etc and so
far it seems to be working. There is 50 minutes machining time left.

The purpose of this is to make an adaptor to connect my servo motor
with a work gear box, to the knee.

Anyway, this 12L14 is the most amazing rusting machine imaginable, the
chips made 2 hours ago are already rusting despite the coolant.

Sounds like the coolant is too dilute.

How do I make the finished product -- a 6 inch long 12L14 bar --
somewhat rust protected?

Right now, I think that I need to simply dry it, and cover with
"marine grease" inside or where any surfaces mate, and something oily,
but cleaner, outside.

Any other ideas?

Zinc plating, using a kit from Caswell.

Joe Gwinn