Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus562 Ignoramus562 is offline

Default End mills break when making a dog clutch

On 2011-02-21, Pete C. wrote:

Wes wrote:

Ignoramus17758 wrote:

In steel, however, this little 1/8" endmill works for a while, then
breaks after 1/2 hour.

Why not use carbide? If you push it too hard it will break quickly. If HSS is breaking
after 30 minutes on a cnc, I suspect you got the life time out of it.

Look at his cut parameters, as Dan noted, his chip load is 0.000125 per
tooth. His feed is too low and the end mill is rubbing and dulling.

I think that you have an extra zero in your calculation.

A little update: I am now using a 12L14 bar that is exactly the right
diameter. I drilled a hole in the middle with a drill bit and am
machining the teeth right now. I found a couple of bugs in the code,
that I fixed, and so far, it is running OK.

If the teeth do not exactly mate, I can file them down with a regular
file. I will see how it goes, I have a little extra of this 12L14 bar
stock.