Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Peltiers

On 02/21/2011 07:38 PM, Dennis wrote:
"Bob La wrote in message
How much real cooling can you get with the cheap peltiers you find for
sale on Ebay. My shop gets pretty hot in the summer, but its just not
practical to keep my controller computers in the office. I was
thinking about making mini duct/shrouds to draw air over the cold side
of a peltier into the PC cases.

I've used them quite a bit, cooling optics, built a small environmental
chamber etc. Without qualifying it with numbers I'd say you would be wasting
your time trying to use peltiers to cool air for your pcs. Would using a
very small thru wall compressor aircon unit be possible? They are quite
inexpensive.

I second that -- Peltier devices are really inefficient coolers (they
make good warmers, though). Their biggest advantage is their
simplicity, but your application is a bit big to really make use of that.

Maybe put the cold side in a plenum, with a cold air duct running to
each machine? Or just make damn sure that you've got lots of airflow
past all your controllers, to get the most cooling out of the air you have.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services